Saturday, August 20, 2011

New Republican Law Makes it Harder to Vote for Elderly, Students, Poor---You Know, People Democrats Value

By Sam Wilcox
In Aug. 8, 2011 The Tennessean

As an 18-year-old, college-bound student, I am excited to exercise my right to vote for the first time. I never dreamed that our state legislature would make it harder for everyone to exercise this right. Questioning how the new voter ID law will affect thousands of Tennesseans, I decided to walk a mile in someone else’s shoes.

In Monday’s Tennessean, the state Department of Safety and Homeland Security promised faster service lines and a system to handle the influx of new requests. I decided to go on a fact-finding mission to the driver’s license centers to see if that was the case.


With the help of the Internet, I did my research. I found the best bus route, looked up the documentation that I would need to identify myself, and cleared my schedule for the day. I thought I was ready.

Restricting myself to public transportation and my own two feet, I started my journey at one of the farthest reaches of Nashville’s Metro Transit Authority bus system, the Bellevue Park-N-Ride stop.

The bus from Bellevue took me to Nashville’s Metro City Central, where I transferred to another bus bound for Gallatin Road. After arriving at the Gallatin Road bus stop, I walked a mile before arriving at the front door of the Hart Lane driver service center.

Upon consultation with the attendant — who was not familiar with the new free photo ID law, even though it took effect four weeks ago — I was informed that my passport, voter registration card, birth certificate and a water bill were not enough to confirm my identity.

What more could I possibly need?! I felt a sense of defeat. My heart went out to those who will struggle to exercise their right to vote because of this new law. If you lost your necessary documents in the May floods of last year, factor in extra time and money, because it’s not that easy replacing those documents, either. It could cost more than $120.

Even though the voter photo ID is free, the indirect cost could include new documents, bus rides and lost time from work.

As for the Tennesseans who live in the 53 counties without a driver service center or public transportation, these voters will have to depend on the kindness of others to give them a ride. This process will be even more difficult for people who work, are without their own personal transportation and the elderly. Administrative roadblocks are forcing those who are aged, in poor health and of lower socioeconomic status to take on greater hardships unnecessarily.

In all cases, the potential voter loses. It’s just not that easy to get a photo ID, and it won’t be easy for some people to express one of their basic rights as a citizen — to vote. Maybe the state legislators who supported this law should practice what they preach and walk a mile in someone else’s shoes, too.
Sam Wilcox is a summer intern in the Nashville office of U.S. Rep. Jim Cooper.

No comments:

Post a Comment